Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hail to the Earth

You know one of the things I really love???



THE EARTH


Its a great place, the best in the universe by far....at least that I have been to...I like to think I do my part to help make this wonderfully blue planet a great place to live, but I also know I dont do as much as I should...


And please DO NOT mistake me for a crazy tree-hugging, Global Warming, save the Polar bear psychotic..I am not!!! I do not necessarily believe the "Climate Change" religion hype that goes on these days..I do believe though, we should do what we can to keep the air and the water clean for the generations to come. Here is what I do:

  • I recycle paper
  • I recycle electronics
  • I use the squiggly lightbulbs
  • I do my best to limit the energy consumption in our home - dont run A/C as much, when I do I keep it as high as possible without being flogged by the other inhabitants of the house
  • I carpool
  • I do my best to limit water consumption in our home - I make all 3 kids take a bath together (lol...not all just the oldest and the youngest..kidding again..I do make the two youngest though sometimes)
  • I wait extra long to change my wiper blades, thus less plastic goes into landfills
  • I make my kids mow the grass with their hands, thus using less gas...(just joking on this, although that may be a good idea)
  • I use Freecycle, that way someone else can use the things I no longer want and I may find something I need without having to purchase it
Now, I know that may not be a lot, but I do much more than I used to.

Things I don't do to help our wondrous planet:

  • I drive an SUV..because
  • I have a litter of kids
  • I use disposable diapers (its time to use the potty Christian!)
  • I am overweight (see here...FREAKS!)
  • I dont recycle the other stuff - glass, plastic aluminum

Anyway, there are other things I know I dont do, much I dont do...but I try...




What about you, what do you do? I need more ideas...as I am not getting rid of my SUV, the kids, maybe, but not the SUV...:-)

2 I dont hate comments!:

Jaybird and Me said...

I watched this last night and got very depressed. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/poisonedwaters/view/ I don't know if I'm ready to go vegan or vegetarian, but agricultural pollution has me seriously considering cutting down on consuming animal products.

I decreed that only green cleaning products will be used in our new house. I purchase some green products and make others at home. I purchase a green laundry detergent online at http://cleangreenmonkey.com/

I turn off the water while I'm lathering up my hands (to wash) and while I'm brushing my teeth. I try to limit my shower length. In addition to using compact fluorescent lights, I do my best to turn off lights when not in use.

I'm also a fan of Freecycle, as well as repurposing things when possible. Just doing whatever I can to reduce waste. I haven't gotten very good about using cloth grocery bags but I do recycle the plastic ones I use.

That's about all I can think of for now. Oh, I'm starting a new garden too.

Karen said...

I just watched Oprah from yesterday and I can not believe the trash swirls out in the oceans.

They showed several neat ideas to reduce waste when brining lunch to work. There are coupons here:

http://www.oprah.com/article/world/20090422-tows-coupon-downloads

I'm definitely going to look on etsy for some reusable items - like cloth napkins instead of paper.

And I'm going to check into our local recycling resources to see what I need to do to get started with recycling here at the house. We are throwing away too many cans, bottles, etc...